Tuesday 28 May 2013

XCO National #3, Thaba Trails

On Saturday I signed up for a race that gave me a little change of pace. After doing lots of  Marathons this year and just finishing a mountain bike stage race I had no idea what to expect at an explosive, short, punchy cross country race. The course is about 5 kilometers long, all single track except for the start/finish. It was a super rocky course, making it technical up and down the hills. I was called up to second row start. Not ideal, since the single track started 200 meters from the start.



The whistle blew and I made it into the single track in 6th. It was a fast start and as we flew into the single track there is an immediate sharp left that turns back on itself and goes uphill. The girl in front of me made mistakes forcing me to jump off and get around her. I remounted and carried on, determined to make up time lost. I was lying 5th as we started the stair stepping climb. I was so excited, I was already doing way better in a cross country race than I ever have before. But I was hungry to do even better. I closed the gap onto 4th place by the top of the climb and passed her on the flat section at the top. I could see 3rd place just ahead as she took a left turn towards the descent. I couldn't stop saying to myself, "oh my gosh I'm chasing down a single speed world champion!". That's right none other than Amy McDougall, 2012 single speed world champ, riding for the ASG MTB Academy. This chick can descend better than most guys! I kept the gap pretty much the same, but she did make a few seconds on me on the descent. But that time I lost I made up for on the climb. I caught up to Amy and took a breather for a few seconds. We approached a steep kicker on the climb and Amy's bike was giving her a fit. She was having some trouble with her gears. She couldn't quite make it over the hump and had to get off her bike. I was too close when this happened and I fell to the right. Pinning myself under my bike. Rookie. I got up and had to close the gap, again. By this time we had gotten closer to 2nd place. As we got the the top of the climb we were right behind 2nd place. Amy being clever attacked on the flat section before the descent. We all went down the descent together Amy almost immediately pulled away. As soon as the track widened I passed, moving into 3rd. I chased Amy for the remainder of the laps. On the final lap I caught Amy on the climb. I started thinking of places to attack her. But as we reached the same steep kicker that I fell over on, Amy's chain snapped! What a bummer for her. I made my way around her and carried on to the finish.

Coming 2nd overall Pro-Elite and first U23 woman, I was beyond happy! I made a complete 360 since the last cross country race I did. I just want to say, since I was given my Felt 29er full suspension with full SRAM XO and top of the range Reynolds carbon wheels, it has completely changed the way I perform and race on the mountain bike. I know it's corny, but this is the first time I have been really comfortable on a mountain bike. I nice bike really does make a difference. I would just like to say thank you to all the people involved in making it happen. You guys have no idea how many times I have said I love my bike lately haha.

Also, amazing job to my three teammates, Patrick Belton, Dylan Rebello, and Julian Jessop, who all won their respective categories on Saturday as well! Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Well that's it for now!

Thanks for reading!

KR

Photos by LePops Photography and Cindy Rebello

No comments:

Post a Comment