Monday 28 January 2013

Barberton- MTN National MTB Series #1

So this weekend the Team Jeep boys and I took the Jeep to Barberton, South Africa. Where we raced the first MTN National MTB series race. A 75 kilometer(47 mi) xc marathon. The course starts out pretty flat until about 15 kilometers in and then there is a 17 kilometer(10.6 mi) climb with 1100 m(3600 ft) of accent. After the big climb there are two smaller climbs, long descents and undulating terrain to the finish. 

The race started out neutral for the first kilometer or so as we rode on the pavement. As soon as we hit the dirt, it was game on. We hit some slippery mud from the rain the day before and my front wheel slipped out from underneath me and I hit the ground. I was okay, but lost a little time straightening my seat back. As soon as I gathered myself, I focused on bringing back positions lost.

I arrived at the 17 kilometer climb confident I could get into a nice tempo, having driven the climb in the Jeep the day before. It was a long but gradual climb to the top with a few steep kickers. Yolande Speedy and I fought for 8th place throughout the whole climb. I got away from her just before the top of the climb. Lying 8th, I had a couple GU's and took off down the descent. I could spot Speedy's teammate just ahead of me and tried my hardest to reel her in. I was feeling my legs at the next climb, lost sight of my carrot and was caught by Speedy. For as long as I could, I tried to hold her wheel. She eventually dropped me on the next climb. 

I fought hard the rest of the race and ended up passing two riders near the finish fixing flat tires. Finishing in 7th place and 2nd U23, not a bad result for my first marathon race. It is the beginning of the season and there are many more races to come. I still feel like I'm in base training mode, so I'm ready for some more interval training and a couple more races in my legs! Bring on the next one! Next weekend is another race at Cascades in Pietermaritzburg. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for reading. Ride on!

Kendall

No comments:

Post a Comment